Road trips are a classic family vacation. They say it’s about the journey, not the destination, and nothing gives you a better opportunity to embrace that than a road trip. While you’re cruising along the highway, it’s great to have some help coming up with unique road trip conversation starters. Don’t worry, we have you covered. We put together a list of 150 questions that will get the whole car chatting and chiming in. These questions cover serious topics, hilarious “would you rather,” and some that will be more thought-provoking.
Time will fly by as you cover these topics that cover food, movies, books, dreams, and so much more. There are also a few simple road trip games and entertainment options to break up the trip and give you all a little break from chatting. Check those out at the bottom. You’ll be looking forward to the miles you have to cover.
The road to adventure starts here!
We know it can be tricky to come up with interesting and original conversation topics when the road is long and the journey is dragging. But don’t worry! We’re here to give you interesting opportunities to connect and find new reasons to spend time together. Our Adventures From Scratch: Family Edition puzzle and adventure book is the perfect way to sit back and relax after a long trip. It’s packed full of interactive challenges, games, and quizzes suitable for every age. So once you’ve reached your destination, go ahead and pick up a copy to enjoy your next adventure.
A Huge List of 150 Road Trip Conversation Starters
1. What three people no longer alive would you want to have a dinner party with?
2. How would you describe your perfect breakfast?
3. What songs would you put on a soundtrack for a movie about your life?
4. If you had to pick a new first and middle name, what would you choose and why?
5. Which sport do you wish you could be an Olympian in?
6. How would you spend 1 million dollars?
7. What is the movie that defines your childhood?
8. What are the top three places on your bucket list to visit?
9. Are you a morning person or an evening person? Or do you find yourself somewhere in between?
10. What’s your enneagram type? Do you think it’s an accurate description?
11. Where is the most romantic place you’ve ever traveled to?
12. What accomplishment in your life are you most proud of?
13. Would you rather lose your taste or hearing?
14. If you could only watch one TV show for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
15. What is your favorite memory from a family road trip?
16. Rank your top three favorite fast food restaurants.
17. What one tool would you want if you were stranded on a desert island?
18. Which transportation method is your favorite for a getaway?
19. Do you have any guilty pleasure albums?
20. What National Park would you like to visit next? What was the last National Park you were at?
21. If you could create your perfect RV, what special features would you include for long road trips?
22. Would you rather commute daily on a bicycle or public transportation?
23. Which United States president in all of history is your favorite?
24. Could you go without social media for a day? What about longer? Are there any apps you could completely give up?
25. What are your top three travel tips for someone taking a long road trip?
26. Would you rather be a backpacker exploring five different countries or a luxury traveler that never leaves an all-inclusive resort?
27. How many best friends have you had in your lifetime? What makes you call someone a best friend?
28. Are there any conspiracy theories that you find interesting?
29. What is your biggest motivation?
30. If you could be an expert at baking or cooking one thing, what would you pick for your signature dish?
31. Who are your top three favorite musicians?
32. What is the best gift you’ve ever received? What was the worst?
33. Would you rather go bungee jumping or sky diving if you had to choose?
34. If you could create a hotel with a theme, like a Disneyworld resort, what theme would you choose? What details would you incorporate?
35. What is the best holiday for food?
36. Would you rather always be too hot or too cold?
37. Which musical instrument do you wish you were talented at?
38. Where is the best beach you’ve ever visited? What makes it the best?
39. If you could move to any city in the world, which would you choose and why?
40. Does your car have a name? How did you come up with it?
41. What is your first memory?
42. If you could read your pet’s mind for a few minutes, what would you like to know?
43. What is your favorite state in the US?
44. Would you rather have an in-home spa or a live-in chef?
45. Are there any pieces of art that have had a huge impact on you in your life? Where and when did you see it?
46. Which holiday could you do without?
47. What do you miss about home when you are traveling?
48. Would you rather have a pause button, a rewind, or a fast-forward button on life?
49. What was the last random act of kindness you received from a stranger?
50. Would you ever go skinny dipping? Have you been before?
51. Are there any foods that you would never eat, even if someone paid you?
52. What books have made an impact on the way you think? Are there any that you would recommend to everyone to read?
53. Talk about one of your most embarrassing moments.
54. What were your top three favorite toys from growing up? Are they still popular today?
55. Where is your dream camping destination?
56. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? What’s the worst advice someone has given you?
57. Using one word, how would you describe your home? What about your work life?
58. Do you like scary movies? What’s the scariest movie, tv show, or book you’ve ever consumed?
59. What are your favorite fruits and vegetables? Which ones do you hate? Has your taste changed since you were a child?
60. Who is your favorite Disney princess? What about your favorite Disney villain?
61. Describe your strangest travel experience.
62. Name ten things you couldn’t live without in life.
63. If you could pick any animal sidekick, which animal would you choose?
64. Would you rather watch the sunset or the sunrise? Where is the best one you’ve ever seen?
65. Do you prefer hot coffee or iced coffee?
66. What is the best dessert for summertime? What about when it’s cold out in the winter?
67. What would you pick if you could build a perfect five-course dinner? Describe all the details, including the tablescapes and drinks.
68. Were your parents strict when you were growing up? What was the weirdest rule you remember?
69. What posters did you have on your wall when you were a teenager?
70. If you could pick any actors to be your parents, who would you pick?
71. Which reality show do you think you would do best at? Would you ever apply for it?
72. Do you think aliens exist? What do you think they look like?
73. Which body part would you want an extra of?
74. What kind of exercise is your favorite? What types do you wish to try in the future?
75. How do you feel about crocs? Do you own any?
76. What popular trend today will you never get on board with?
77. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
78. What skills do you have to help you survive a zombie apocalypse?
79. What is your zodiac sign? Does it accurately describe your personality?
80. If you could have one superpower, what would it be? What would be the first thing you’d do with it?
81. What is your favorite theme park ride? What is the scariest ride you’ve been on?
82. Would you rather live deep under the sea for a year in a submarine or float in outer space on a rocket?
83. Describe your dream vehicle. Be as detailed as possible, money is no object.
84. Which Hogwarts house would you be put in and why?
85. If your car radio was stuck on one song for long car rides, which song would you pick to listen to over and over?
86. Have you ever had an encounter with a famous person? Who do you wish you could meet?
87. What is your favorite thing to do on your day off? Do you like relaxing or getting things done?
88. Which household chore is your favorite to do? Which one do you wish you never had to do again?
89. Which family tradition is your favorite? Do you know where it started?
90. Describe your dream home. How big would you want it? What kinds of fun things would you want in your yard? What fancy items would you pick first?
91. What is your favorite movie to watch during the holiday season?
92. What was your dream job when you were a kid? Do you think it would be realistic to do that job now?
93. Do you think that you 10 years ago would believe where you are in your life today? What do you think would be the most surprising thing?
94. Have you heard of the five love languages? Which do you think you relate to the most—acts of service, physical touch, words of affirmation, quality time, or gift-giving?
95. What are your favorite rainy or snowy day activity?
96. If you were stuck on earth with just five people, who would you choose and why?
97. What is the strangest tourist attraction you’ve ever visited?
98. Who has had a big influence on your life? Have you ever thanked them?
99. What book, movie, or TV show made you cry the hardest?
100. If you could join any TV family, which would you pick?
101. Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever had a real-life encounter?
102. What is the best large purchase you’ve made? What is the worst?
103. Are there any words people use to describe you that you disagree with?
104. What is your dream pet if you could choose any animal?
105. Have you ever broken the law? Did you get caught?
106. Who was your teenage crush? Have you looked up where they are today?
107. If you had access to a time machine for a day, where would you go, and what would you want to learn about?
108. What foreign language do you wish you were fluent in?
109. Do you have a relative from long ago that you wish you could meet? What would you want to know?
110. What would you choose if you could automate part of your daily routine so you never had to do it anymore?
111. What place in the world have you felt most at peace in your life?
112. Are there any bands you wish you could see live—either current or past? Do you have any bucket list concert venues?
113. Do you have any heroes? What makes someone a hero, in your opinion?
114. What are your favorite non-profits and causes that you try and support?
115. Do you hold grudges? Is forgiveness easy for you?
116. If you wrote a book, what would you title it? What genre would it fall under?
117. Are there any of your friends that you wish you could reconnect with from your past? What made you lose touch in the first place?
118. Would you rather be able to have x-ray vision or super powerful hearing?
119. When was the last time you spent a full 24 hours without the internet?
120. Are there any aspects of aging that you’re looking forward to? What part of getting older are you most afraid of?
121. Would you rather go on an African safari or scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef?
122. What would you wish for if you found a genie’s lamp and received three wishes?
123. Do you believe people have spirit animals? If so, what is yours?
124. What sport do you enjoy watching the most? What is the best game or event you’ve ever seen?
125. Are there any quotes or sayings that you live by? Do you have a mantra?
126. What hopes do you have for the next generation? Is there anything you hope they never have to deal with in their life?
127. What is your favorite spice to cook with or eat?
128. Have you ever had your heart broken? What is the best medicine to heal a broken heart?
129. Do you know where your ancestors are from? Do you feel connected to those places?
130. What are your biggest pet peeves?
131. What is the best Halloween costume you’ve ever had? Are there any that you want to do in the future?
132. Describe your favorite cocktail or mocktail and where you like to drink it.
133. Are there any landmarks or cities you do not want to visit? Are there any that you think are too overrated?
134. Would you rather be a politician or a member of the royal family?
135. Do you remember your dreams? What is the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?
136. Have you ever laughed so hard that something came out of your nose? Do you remember what was so funny?
137. Is there anyone you “hate follow” on the internet? What do you think about that?
138. What is your favorite word? Explain why you love it so much.
139. Is there anything you’re petty about?
140. What scares you most about the world right now?
141. If you could open any type of restaurant, what cuisine would you serve? Would you have a theme at all? How would you decorate?
142. Where do you see yourself in five years? What about twenty years?
143. Would you rather go the rest of your life without kissing or without hugging?
144. Do you think hotdogs are sandwiches? Is cereal soup? Can you think of other foods that could fall into a really weird category?
145. What is your favorite smell? Why do you think you love it so much?
146. What is your least favorite smell?
147. Are there any religions you wish you knew more about?
148. Describe your perfect weekend. Where are you? What are you doing? Who are you with?
149. Do you like celebrating your birthday? What has been your favorite birthday?
150. If you could be invisible for an entire day, where would you go, and what would you do?
Other Road Trip Games and Entertainment
If you get through all those questions or want to add a little friendly competition instead, here are a few of the best games and other entertainment for long car rides.
Take turns challenging everyone to some random trivia. Pick specific themes or focus on the places that you’re traveling through. It’s a good way to learn silly facts and get a little competitive.
Another great road trip activity is listening to a podcast. You can find shows that cover everything from true crime to history to pop culture. There are fiction stories that the whole family will enjoy as well. It’s safer than putting on a movie or TV show because even the driver can listen along without looking away from the road.
Road trip games that involve watching for things out the window can be good when people need a break from the conversation. Challenge everyone in a game of I Spy or see who can find letters of the alphabet or different license plates fastest.
Road Trip Bingo
Bingo is a great game in the car, especially if you have younger kids. You can find printable bingo cards online, or you can make your own. As people spot street signs, types of roadside attractions, or certain colors or models of cars, they will cross them off their bingo cards. Winners get a full row first, and then the game can start over.
Final Thoughts on Road Trip Conversation Starters
There are plenty of card sets and things you can purchase at online retailers, like Amazon, but this list is free and will keep your entire carload entertained and engaged for hours. Plus, you’ll get a chance to get to know one another. Start packing up the car and get ready to hit the road. If you want a bit more inspiration, take a look at our “Road Trip Games to Keep Your Whole Family Entertained” or this great guide of “Road Trip Sing-Along Songs for Every Type of Adventure“. And let us know your favorite random road trip questions in the comments!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a long car ride, try playing a game, like I Spy or the License Plate game. You could also go through this list of best road trip conversation starters to encourage everyone to chime in.
For a long car ride, you need something fun to talk about. These cool road trip conversation starters will spark interesting chats and give everyone a chance to speak their mind and share some laughs.
Enjoy family time together with some great ideas in the scratch-off book, Adventures From Scratch: Family Edition. The whole family will have a blast with dozens of ideas and games to try.