Are you and your friends feeling the urge for an electrifying rush of excitement that leaves you feeling alive and rejuvenated? Perhaps, you’re prepared to venture outside your comfort zone for the first time, or maybe you’re addicted to adrenaline-rush activities. Either way, if you’re considering bungee jumping off a cliff, zip-lining through a jungle, or navigating down rapids while whitewater rafting, this article is tailored for you and your friends. We’ve gathered all the blood-pumping activities for your next friend-cation!
Let the adventure begin!
Here at Let’s Roam, we’re all about helping you create deep bonds with your crew. We’ve created an entire scratch-off adventure book dedicated to friends. It’s full of activities ranging from chill nights in to wild weekends away together. Each activity is specifically crafted to help you cultivate amazing bonds while having a blast! Snag your copy of Adventures From Scratch: Friends Edition today and let the fun begin!
24 Adrenaline-Pumping Activities for Adventurous Friends
The definition of adrenaline rush activities varies depending on an individual’s level of thrill-seeking. There are those who are born adrenaline junkies, always in search of the next adventure. Others may explore and push their comfort level boundaries only a few times in their life. What may get someone’s heart racing is a walk in the park for others. Bearing that in mind, here are a few ideas for you and your daredevil companions.
Paragliding in Oludeniz, Turkiye, was one of my personal favorite experiences. The exhilaration of sprinting toward the edge of a cliff and soaring high in the air was unbeatable! The picturesque landscape and surrounding beaches are breathtaking, and something you and your friends won’t soon forget. Here are a few more fabulous places for paragliding adventures!
- Switzerland: With its stunning alpine scenery, Switzerland is a popular destination for paragliding. One of the best locations is Interlaken, where you can fly over the picturesque Lake Thun and the surrounding mountains.
- Greece: The Greek island of Santorini is a famous spot for parasailing, offering breathtaking views of the Aegean Sea and the island’s famous cliffs. Corfu and Lefkada are popular for paragliding.
- Mexico: The beach resort town of Puerto Vallarta is a favored destination for paragliding with flights available over the beautiful Bay of Banderas.
2. Hot Air Ballooning
Hot air ballooning is a bucket list activity in numerous regions around the world from Cappadocia to New Mexico. It’s a bit wild if you think about it. Let’s all get in this wicker basket, and then let’s light a giant flame thrower that’s going to shoot us a mile into the sky. Good plan! With no walls or windows to obstruct the view, you and your friends will enjoy the incredible scenery from every angle.
- Cappadocia, Turkiye: A bucket list destination for hot air balloon rides with its vibrant balloons soaring every sunrise over a breathtaking landscape full of gorges, interesting rock formations, and ancient cave dwellings.
- Albuquerque, New Mexico: For nine days in October, the Albuquerque skies are brightly painted as more than 500 balloons raise from Balloon Fiesta Park.
- Serengeti National Park in Tanzania: This location offers an unforgettable balloon safari that gives you a completely different perspective and something you just won’t experience from the normal jeep safari.
Imagine the excitement of jumping out of an airplane with your besties at your side, freefalling through the sky, and feeling the wind flap in your cheeks. Check out these awesome skydiving destinations:
- Interlaken, Switzerland: With breathtaking views of the Swiss Alps
- Cairns, Australia: Skydiving over the Great Barrier Reef and the rainforest
- Queenstown, New Zealand: With stunning views of the Southern Alps and Lake Wakatipu
- Hawaii, USA: Skydiving over the lush green forests and gorgeous beaches
4. Bungee Jumping
There are some amazing places to bungee jump all over the world, and this simple activity really gets the adrenaline pumping! One of the most famous bungee jumping spots is the Macau Tower outside Hong Kong which boasts the world’s highest bungee jump at a staggering 233 meters (764 feet) high!
- New Zealand: You can jump off the Nevis Highwire, which is the third-highest bungee jump in the world
- Navajo Bridge in Arizona: Offers stunning views of the Colorado River below
- Monteverde, Costa Rica: The largest bungee jumping in Central America is at Extremo Adventure Park, which allows you to plummet from a moving platform over a rainforest gorge.
- Verzasca Dam in Ticino, Switzerland: If you’re a fan of James Bond, this is where the opening scene of “Golden Eye” was filmed!
5. Wingsuit Base Jumping
This extreme activity will surely make your heart race! Jumping off a cliff or building in a full-body, aerodynamic outfit and helmet is the ultimate thrill. The suits are designed with special chambers that fill with air, allowing you to glide through the air and experience the ultimate feeling of freedom. Don’t worry, there’s a parachute included!
- Grand Cayon, Arizona: Wingsuit enthusiasts form a thriving community at the Grand Canyon, where their love for the sport is shared and celebrated.
- Mont Blanc, Chamonix France: For those seeking an iconic destination for wingsuit flying, Mont Blanc is a top choice, highly revered and admired
- Owens Valley, California: With its distinctive topography, is a favored spot among wingsuit pilots, spanning more than one hundred miles along the eastern edge of the Sierra Nevada
6. Rock Climbing
Rock climbing is an exhilarating and challenging sport that requires both physical and mental strength. Scaling steep cliffs and rock faces with your friends is not for the faint of heart, but for those who are willing to take the plunge, the rewards are endless. Plus, it’s a great experiment in teamwork and trust!
- Yosemite National Park in California is one of the best places to go rock climbing. The park has iconic rock formations, including El Capitan and Half Dome. Yosemite has plenty of beginner-friendly routes for those just starting out.
- Joshua Tree National Park in California is another great destination for rock climbing. The park is famous for its unique rock formations and boulder fields. The park boasts more than 8,000 climbing routes.
- There are plenty of indoor climbing gyms around the world, too. Some of the best indoor climbing gyms include Brooklyn Boulders in New York City, Climbing Works in Sheffield, UK, and the Arch Climbing Wall in London, UK.
7. White Water Rafting or Kayaking
White water rafting is a great adrenaline rush activity to do with your friends! You’ll navigate an inflatable raft through a choppy river, dodging whirlpools and rocks, while using every muscle just to stay inside the raft!
Are you tired of the same old flatwater kayaking? How about trying whitewater kayaking? This version will have you navigating through tricky sections of rushing whitewater and will definitely get your blood pumping. Some of the best places to go are:
- Pacuare River, Costa Rica: For an epic jungle run, head to Costa Rica’s Pacuare River. Where kayakers race down 32 miles of Class III-IV, crystal clear rapids. Experts will prefer the Class V Upper Pacuare section upstream.
- Alsek/Tatshenshini, Alaska: One of the coolest things about the Class III, 180-mile journey down the Alsek, or a 130-mile jaunt down the Tatshenshini, is the icebergs that float with you and your kayak all the way to the Pacific Ocean.
For those seeking a mix of adrenaline-pumping activities, canyoning is a perfect adventure. This exciting sport combines water sports with hiking, climbing, and gliding. As you and your friends make your way through canyons, you’ll walk, swim, and hike, crossing waterfalls, ravines, gorges, and water basins in the name of adventure. To fully enjoy canyoning, it’s recommended to join organized groups led by experienced guides who know the area and potential dangers. Here are some of the best places to go canyoning:
- Zion National Park, Utah: With its stunning red rock canyons and unique landscapes, Zion National Park offers some of the best canyoning experiences in the world.
- Queenstown, New Zealand: This adventure capital of the world offers some of the best canyoning experiences, with steep cliffs, gushing waterfalls, and crystal-clear pools.
- Grand Canyon, Arizona: This natural wonder offers some of the most spectacular canyoning experiences, with towering walls, stunning waterfalls, and challenging routes.
Heli-skiing is the ultimate adventure! It’s like skiing but on steroids! The premise is simple: You’re flown to the top of a remote mountain by helicopter, you jump, and then proceed to ski your way down through untouched powder. It’s the ultimate backcountry skiing experience. Some of the best heli-skiing destinations include:
- Whistler, Canada: Home to some of the world’s best skiing, Whistler is a popular destination for heli-skiing enthusiasts looking for stunning views and thrilling descents.
- Valdez, Alaska: Known for its steep terrain and deep powder snow, Valdez is a must-visit destination for heli-skiing aficionados.
- Queenstown, New Zealand: With its majestic alpine scenery and wide-open terrain, Queenstown is a great destination for first-time heli-skiers.
10. Cage Diving
Cage diving is a unique and exhilarating snorkeling or scuba experience that will get your heart racing. It involves getting up close and personal with some of the ocean’s most fearsome creatures like great white sharks! You’ll be safely enclosed in a cage while these majestic predators swim just inches away from you. Some of the best destinations for cage diving include:
- Gansbaai, South Africa: Known as the “Great White Shark Capital of the World,” Gansbaai is a prime location for cage diving with these impressive predators.
- Isla Guadalupe, Mexico: This small island off the coast of Baja, Mexico, is home to some of the largest great white sharks in the world, making it a must-visit for any cage diving enthusiast.
- Farallon Islands, California: Just a short boat ride from San Francisco, the Farallon Islands offer an unforgettable cage diving experience with great white sharks and other marine life.
11. Sand and Volcano Boarding
Who said you need snow to go boarding? Sand and volcano boarding will give your group the same thrill with a unique twist! Imagine boarding down a hill of sand or a smoking hot volcano! Whether you’re standing, sitting, or lying on your board, you’ll pick up some serious speed! For the daredevils out there, board tricks and flips are all part of the game. You can sandboard and volcano board in many awesome destinations around the world, though volcano boarding needs a fairly recent eruption to get the hardened lava necessary for a good ride.
- Popular sandboarding spots include the dunes of Dubai, the beaches of Brazil, the seaside dunes of Oregon, and the deserts of Peru.
- For volcano boarding, recommended spots are Cerro Negro in Nicaragua, Mount Yasur in Vanuatu, and Mount Taranaki in New Zealand.
12. Wing Walking
Wing walking is one of the most daring and thrilling extreme sports out there. It involves standing on the wing of a flying plane while it’s in motion! It’s not for the faint-hearted, to say the least. During a wing walking experience, you’ll be strapped to the wing of a biplane while it takes off, climbs, dives, and performs maneuvers in the air. Some of the best places to go wing walking include:
- English countryside: Multiple tour companies offer wing walking over world-famous landscapes in locations such as the Cotswolds or the Kent countryside.
- Australia: The beaches of Gold Coast, Byron Bay, and Sydney are popular wing walking spots that offer stunning coastal views.
- Grand Canyon: A day soaring over the Grand Canyon offers breathtaking views of the natural wonder from a unique perspective.
13. Zero Gravity
If you and your friends are looking for some adrenaline-pumping fun without the risk, check out the simulation labs! You can experience everything from free-falling to massive climbing walls, and even feel what zero gravity is like—all in a controlled environment. These labs are perfect for getting a taste of the real deal without going all-in just yet.
- Paraclete XP Indoor Skydiving, Raeford, NC: Simulate the freefall portion of a traditional skydive, without jumping out of an actual plane.
- Vegas Indoor Skydiving: Simulate a skydiving experience in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip.
- Zero-G: This includes using a modified Boeing 727 with flight techniques that create zero gravity where you can float in the air and do as many flips and twists as you would like. Locations are in Orlando, FL; Miami, FL; Las Vegas, NV; and San Francisco, CA.
14. Ice Climbing
Ice climbing with friends is an exhilarating adventure that is growing in popularity. It requires technical skill and physical strength, making it a great challenge to tackle as a team. It’s also an opportunity to explore beautiful ice formations and breathtaking landscapes in winter wonderlands around the globe.
- The Canadian Rockies offer some of the most stunning ice formations in the world, making it an ultimate destination for ice-climbing enthusiasts. Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada, is a world-renowned ice-climbing spot that is certainly worth a visit.
- The Ouray Ice Park in Colorado, USA, is another must-visit destination for ice climbers. The park boasts over 200 ice and mixed climbing routes, making it a popular spot for climbers of all levels.
Flyboarding is a water sport that involves standing on a board propelled by water jets, allowing you to fly up into the air and dive back into the water like a dolphin. It’s a great activity to try with friends and can be found in epic locations around the world.
- Spain is home to many flyboarding locations, including the beaches of Barcelona, the Balearic Islands, and the Canary Islands.
- Thailand is another popular destination for flyboarding with places like Phuket and Pattaya offering an exhilarating experience in the tropical waters of the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand.
- Mexico has various locations suitable for flyboarding including Cancun, Cozumel, and Cabo San Lucas. These destinations offer clear blue waters, ideal for enjoying the sport.
16. Roller Coasters
Rollercoasters! Nothing like getting that blood pumping with your best buds by your side. We’re talking steep drops, corkscrews, and loops that’ll make your head spin (literally)! There are tons of rollercoasters all over the world that are perfect for a friendly outing.
- Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey is the tallest and second-fastest rollercoaster in the world with a drop of 418 feet (127 m) and a top speed of 128 mph (206 km/h).
- The Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Ohio reaches a top speed of 120 mph (193 km/h) and has a 90-degree drop.
It’s a simple concept, but it delivers a manageable adrenaline punch that most people can endure with relative ease. Zip lines can take you across some of the most stunning natural settings in the world, from lush forests to rugged canyons, and even overactive volcanoes (safely, of course!)
- Costa Rica: The country’s cloud forests offer some of the most stunning views for zip lining, with many tours taking place in Monteverde or Arenal Volcano National Park.
- Hawaii: The islands of Hawaii offer a wide range of zip-lining experiences, from soaring over lush valleys and rainforests to zipping over waterfalls on Kauai’s North Shore.
- Puerto Rico: The island’s lush rainforest, El Yunque, offers an incredible zip-lining experience that includes views of waterfalls and the ocean.
18. ATV Riding
Looking for a way to satisfy your need for speed and adventure? Why not try extreme ATV riding with your friends? ATV stands for all-terrain vehicle, and they’re designed to handle any terrain, from rocky hills to muddy swamps. You can race your friends through the desert dunes or power up canyon walls, the choice is yours!
- Hatfield-McCoy Trails: Located in West Virginia, USA, the Hatfield-McCoy Trails offer over 700 miles of off-road trails for ATV and UTV riders to explore, with varying difficulty levels to cater to all skill levels.
- Glamis Sand Dunes: Located in Southern California, USA, the Glamis Sand Dunes is a popular off-road destination for ATV and UTV riders, with over 40 miles of sand dunes to explore.
- Baja Peninsula: Located in Mexico, the Baja Peninsula offers rugged desert terrain and scenic coastal trails to explore.
19. Snowboarding or Skiing
This thrilling adventure can be enjoyed by people of all ages, and it’s easy to get started. Take a group lesson and learn how the basics before hitting the slopes, or if you want to up the ante, hit the terrain park with your buddies and try your hand at a few jumps. After a day on the slopes, you can gather around a warm fire and swap stories about your adventures.
- Aspen, Colorado: Known for its glitzy ski resorts, Aspen offers some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the world. With four mountains to choose from, Aspen offers a range of terrain suitable for all levels of skiers and snowboarders. After a day on the slopes, hit the town for a vibrant nightlife scene and excellent dining options. While you are at it check out our scavenger hunts in and around Aspen for a fun time with your friends.
- Whistler, British Columbia: Located in the stunning Canadian Rockies, Whistler is one of the largest ski resorts in North America, boasting over 8,000 acres of skiable terrain.
- Chamonix, France: Nestled in the heart of the French Alps, Chamonix is a mecca for extreme skiers and snowboarders. With access to the famous off-piste terrain of the Aiguille du Midi, Chamonix is a playground for adrenaline junkies. It also offers plenty of skiing and snowboarding opportunities for less experienced skiers and snowboarders.
This thrilling sport is all about pushing your limits! You and your crew can hit the skate park or find some unique urban spots to test your skills. From grinding rails and ollieing stairs to shredding through bowls and halfpipes, you’ll find no end to the places your board will take you. If you’re looking for some inspiration, check out some of the famous skateboarding spots like:
- Venice Beach Skatepark, California: A fantastic place to visit overall, Venice Beach offers incredible skating. Made famous in Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater, Venice’s sunken bowl is the perfect spot to practice your skills —you definitely won’t be let down.
- Hunting Beach, California: Vans Off the Wall Skatepark is a hot spot for U.S. skateboarding.
- Brooklyn Banks Skatepark in New York City: Not only is this NYC hot spot a great place to shred under the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge—there are so many smaller areas and offshoots which all offer amazing street skating.
If you’re looking for a thrilling adventure that’s accessible to all your friend’s skill levels, look no further than abseiling! It’s the opposite of climbing—instead of ascending, you’ll descend a steep slope, mountain, or cliff using a rope. It’s basically rappelling with a few slight technical differences. One of the best things about abseiling is that it’s suitable for all skill levels. Whether you’re a seasoned adventurer or a complete beginner, you can enjoy the thrill of rappelling down a mountain. Some of the best abseiling destinations include:
- Table Mountain, South Africa: With its stunning views and challenging descents, Table Mountain is a must-visit destination for abseiling enthusiasts.
- Blue Mountains, Australia: This stunning natural wonder offers a variety of abseiling experiences, from beginner-friendly descents to heart-pumping drops.
- Lake District, England: With its rugged landscape and stunning scenery, the Lake District is a great place to try abseiling for the first time.
22. CN Tower’s EdgeWalk
If you are looking for a one-of-a-kind experience, head to the CN Tower in Ontario and take on the EdgeWalk. This heart-stopping experience allows you to lean out over the edge of the tower’s 356-meter-high platform without using your hands. Don’t worry, you’ll be securely harnessed in for safety. Not only will you get incredible views of the city from the top, but you’ll also get a rush like no other as you dangle over the edge with your friends by your side.
23. Cliff Jumping
Are you ready to take a leap of faith and experience the thrill of cliff jumping? This heart-pumping activity requires no special skills or gear, just a dose of bravery and a desire for adventure! There are plenty of amazing spots around the world where you can try your hand at cliff jumping.
- Havasu Falls, Arizona: A desert oasis located in the Havasupai Indian Reservation, known for its turquoise waterfalls and pools. Havasu Falls is only accessible by hiking and requires a permit to enter. You can jump into the refreshing blue-green waters from a height of around 10-20 feet (3-6 meters), and the bravest head for the 100-foot cliffs.
- Kamari Beach, Santorini: A popular beach located on the southeast coast of Santorini, famous for its black volcanic sand and towering cliffs. You can take the plunge from cliffs that range from 5-40 feet (1.5-12 meters) high and enjoy the crystal-clear Aegean Sea. This is a dangerous spot for cliff-jumping. Most locals will tell you to go to Amoudi Bay for the deeper, safer waters.
- Nusa Lembongan, Bali: An island paradise located southeast of Bali, Nusa Lembongan is known for its beautiful beaches and stunning cliff formations. You can jump from cliffs that range from 10-40 feet (3-12 meters) high and enjoy the turquoise waters surrounding the island. Popular cliff-jumping spots include Mahana Point and Blue Lagoon.
Bouldering is rock climbing stripped down to its basics. With no ropes or a harness, you just use climbing shoes and a bag of chalk over safety mats, your challenge is to climb short but strategic bouldering “problems” (a route, or sequence of moves) using balance, strategy, strength, and your mind.
- The Red River Gorge in Kentucky is a popular destination for boulderers. The area features an abundance of sandstone formations and deep valleys which provide plenty of opportunities for exploration and problem-solving.
- Bishop in California is one of America’s best-kept secrets when it comes to bouldering. Located in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains and surrounded by breathtaking views, Bishop offers climbers some of the most impressive boulder problems in the world. The area boasts over 2500 routes ranging from V0 to V12, so there’s something here for every level of experience.
One of the best ways to create lasting memories with your pals is to take on thrill-seeking activities together. There is something incredibly bond-inducing about having the crap scared out of you in unison! Whichever one of these adrenaline-rush activities you choose, find a friend to tag along with because there’s nothing better than sharing a heart-stopping experience with your besties! Just remember to take plenty of photos (and maybe bring a first-aid kit).
For more adventures with your friends check out our list of the best warm-weather activities to load up your summer with adventure!
Are you struggling to make time for adventure with your pals due to a new romantic interest? Take a few cues from “Balancing Time Between Friends and a Romantic Relationship.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Zero gravity in a simulation lab is a great indoor activity that you don’t want to miss out on. Indoor climbing walls are a great adrenaline rush but in a controlled environment.
Snag a copy of Adventures From Scratch: Friends Edition for more than 50 in-home and getaway activities to do with friends!